Eggplant and Capsicum Salad
This salad is always a hit when we have family or friends over for lunch or dinner. The original recipe was handed down to me from my Mum (thanks Mum!) – I just make it my way to make it my own. I love that this salad can be made ahead of time and its even tastier the next day.
A Few Tips to Remember:
- In general try to use organic where possible – if not possible do the best you can and wash your vegetables well
- This salad can be served warm or cold – its usually more flavorsome the next day though!
- Make extra and use in wraps or sandwiches during the week
- This salad is delicious served as a side with fresh fish, chicken or lamb, but is also just as good on its own
- Serves approximately 4-5 adults as a side dish
1 red onion sliced thick
2 large eggplants sliced thin and sprinkled with
1 large red capsicum sliced thick
1 large green capsicum sliced thick
2 garlic cloves
3 roma tomatoes or 1/2 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Handful fresh basil
Himalayan pink salt and pepper
Olive oil for cooking
- Preheat fry-pan or cast iron grill and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Once hot turn heat down slightly and cook eggplant turning a few times. You may need to drizzle a little more olive oil over the eggplant while its cooking. Cook eggplant in batches until all cooked and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a fry-pan at a medium heat and cook red onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add red and green capsicum and stir frequently.
- Once capsicum has started to soften add tomatoes and stir through. Allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down, stirring often.
- Add eggplant, salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down low and allow to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add fresh herbs and stir through.
- Can be served hot or cold. Enjoy!